Listen Live

on air 11:00 - 15:00
Fraser Cottrell | Workday with Rokib




NEXT 15:00 - 18:00
Drivetime - Great music and regular travel updates

LATER 18:00 - 19:00
Tameside Tonight Community - James Dean presents your local community news


Listen NowListen Again
Get your Tameside Radio Car Stickers

Cigarette Left Burning Causes Fire

Posted on Fri 11 May 2012

A CIGARETTE left burning in an ashtray caused a fire at a house in Ashton.


Crews from Ashton and Stalybridge fire stations were called to the blaze at a house on Wrigley Street at 11.30pm on Thursday, May 10.


The fire was out on arrival and had started after a cigarette was left burning in a plastic ashtray and set fire to a wooden fire surround. Damage was limited to the fire surround and chimney breast.


A 30-year-old man was suffering from the effects of inhaling smoke & was seen at the scene by paramedics.


Councillor David Acton, Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "One of the biggest causes of fire in the home in Greater Manchester is smoking. If you're a smoker or you have a smoker living in your house, its very important that great care is taken when putting cigarettes and smoking materials out.


"Try to stay out of danger by ensuring cigarettes are fully stubbed out, don't smoke in bed, keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children, use a proper ashtray and never tap your ash into a waste paper basket."


For a Home Safety Check, which may include GMFRS fitting up to two free smoke alarms, please go to www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx or call 0800 555 815

 

Click here to go back to the news page.

Newsletter

Subscribe to the Tameside Radio newsletter and we will send you news about events, promotions and more! [unsubscribe]